Planning Poker Instructions
How to play Planning Poker?
- Each member of the team gets the complete set of cards of one suit
- Somebody presents the work items (e.g. «Product Owner», product manager, project leader)
- The work item is discussed, discussion results (details, assumptions, risks) are documented
- Each estimator thinks about the estimate and places one according card face down (numbers hidden) on the table
- When all estimates/ cards are on the table, the cards are shown
- If the estimates disagree, the reasons for the differences are discussed, typically first by the estimators aiming
lowest and highest, discussion results (details, assumptions, risks) are documented.
- Steps 4 to 6 are repeated until consensus is reached (can be shortened if a single outlier agrees to go with all others)
What is the Meaning of the Cards?
The numbers can stand for hours but also other quantities like cost (in 1000's), risk, "Story Points". In Scrum it is frowned upon directly estimating hours, but in many organizations hours are important. This is why our card deck is optimized for estimation of hours.
Meaning of Special Cards
See the following figures: